Sunday, September 19, 2010

Freshers Week

Today marks the end Freshers Week: " a week of nonstop partying" as my IFSA-Butler orientation coordinator informed us. I kicked off the week by joining my friend Rachel and her flatmates for a night out. We first tried to get into the "Welcome to Fabulous Edinburgh" welcome party but the queue (people don't say "line" here) was way too long so we were herded off to Medina, a nearby club. There were not many people there and no one was doing anything so of course we had to start the party: 

credits: Rebeka
Us squeezed around a table. The ceiling and walls were trippy!
credits: Rebekah
After a bit, we decided to brave the cold and rain and made it into the Welcome Party. The amount of people in one are was insane. To create a mental image, imagine the best First Fridays you've ever been to times 34 and lots of swooping colored lights and fog.

Aside from all the partying, there were also a ton of events to go to, including a Glee Dance Party, tons of pub and coffee crawls, a chocolate party, concerts, tours, BBQs and picnics, and theatre performances. I didn't make it to everything (impossible) but had lots of fun at the things I did go to:

At a ceilidh (traditional Scottish dancing) in McEwan Hall. 
Me cheesing with a ceilidh pro!
Kim, Stephany, and Carolyn at the Chocolate Party. Rather lackluster party
(Dodd has spoiled me) but still yummy!
Stephany and I found Robert the Moose!!!


Apart from official Freshers Week events, there also many other exciting things to see and do. One particular highlight was seeing Pope Benedict XVI!! It was the first time a pontiff had visited the UK since Pope John Paul II in 1982. 

Everyone waiting for the Pope.
There he is in his POPEMOBILE!! Very exciting.
Another fun event was going to see the Hibernian vs Hamilton football match in the Hibernian stadium in Edinburgh. My friend Caitlin and I even got to take a picture with some of the players! It ended up being 1:1 but it was great watching the game surrounded by a bunch of passionate European fans. Trust me, oh were they passionate. 

Me and Caitlin! Clearly we had to support them... :)

The Hibs warming up.
In action
A sad event was my phone breaking. I completely lost the trackball and so I can only make calls and text people (but can't read texts) by sticking my finger in the hole (TWSS). Which all would be fine except I can't turn the alarm off so I have to pull the battery for certain hours. Fun stuff.


Pretty banged up, too, huh?
Classes start tomorrow! I'm taking History of Art, Healthy & Society, and Scottish Literature all of which I am excited about, being the nerd I am. Well, I'll leave this with one final picture:


Edinburgh Castle at a distance

Cheerio! 

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun!!!

    Do you know if it's officially known as the Popemobile? (I'm assuming not, but I can dream, right?... Not that these are the things I dream of.)

    ReplyDelete